Harvard Implicit Test - are you calling me a racist?


So far, my cultural competency course at William and Mary has been enlightening and eye opening. While I entered the classroom believing that I had some understanding and meritous opinions on the subject, it turns out that I have just as much to learn about the true meaning of cultural awareness as anybody else.

Never was this as apparent as yesterday when I took my first Harvard Implicit test. Anyone can take a test by visiting the site at https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/research. By its own definition, the tests, part of their Project Implicit study, are designed so that a participant has the opportunity to assess one’s conscious and unconscious preferences for over 90 different topics ranging from pets to political issues, ethnic groups to sports teams, and entertainers to styles of music. At the same time, the visitor assists their psychological research on thoughts and feelings.

In short, you can choose a topic. The test comes from being shown a series of two images which may or may not match. Using the “I”and “E” keys, you choose whether the two match or not. The grade is given on incorrect answers as well as time spent answering the questions. There is little time to think as reactions are preferred over conscious thought before answering. The idea is to gauge instincts when comparing two subjects.

I probably should have chosen a safe topic like pets, but instead decided to go straight to the African American -European American implicit attitudes test. During the course of the 10-12 minute exam, I was shown seven series of images with words or phrases such as “European-American,” “African-American,” “Good,” and “Bad,” underneath the images. The objective was to correctly match the image with the saying.



After completing the exam, I was self-satisfied and ready for the people at Harvard to prove what I already felt; that is, Jim McGrath is a culturally competent person with no racial preference, inherent or otherwise. So it was a shocking surprise when this result appeared.

Your Result
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American.
The interpretation is described as 'automatic preference for European American' if you responded faster when European American faces and Good words were classified with the same key than when African American faces and Good words were classified with the same key. Depending on the magnitude of your result, your automatic preference may be described as 'slight', 'moderate', 'strong', or 'little to no preference'. Alternatively, you may have received feedback that 'there were too many errors to determine a result'



WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?Who are these people? At one point, I was asked to provide my current zip code (23602) as well as the zip code where I lived the longest (22304 – West End Alexandria, VA). Geez… 22304 has to be one of the most diverse zip codes in America. How did the eggheads in Cambridge, MA miss this piece of the puzzle? Obviously, they’ve never seen my wedding pictures. How dare they??

There was more explanation underneath the results, but the damage was done. Whether I want to blame it on the keyboard or not understanding the exam, according to this group of “experts,” I have a strong preference and it was not expected.

I’m going to take some more of these tests. Right now, I’m thinking that the people at Harvard are a bunch of quacks!

Feel free to look up the site and take an implicit test. If you dare!!


No comments:

Post a Comment