Harvard Implicit Test - Still Backwards

This finding seems to clarify my original thoughts about the Harvard Implicit tests. While the exam claims to measure ‘automatic” responses, I wonder how many accommodations are made for other factors. For example, I am left-handed. In my view, the results from my first attempt at this test looked backward from what I assumed it would be.
On attempt #2, I made the conscious decision to take an IAT that was safe from any type of underlying emotional response. On the first IAT, I was determined to prove that my “unconscious” feelings matched my conscious ones. The result totally threw me for a loop.

Yet this one also seems backwards, as noted by the fact that I fell into the “1 percent” category. In my conscious mind, I have no idea why I would associate females with science and males with liberal arts. Perhaps, it is because I graduated as a liberal arts major in college and was not a great science student. This is the only explanation that makes sense to me. My “preference” for females and science could be mirrored by my past inability to master the various subjects, and in honesty, biology, chemistry, and honors physics were not berry…berry good to me!
Looks like the third time will be the charm when it comes to the Harvard Implicit test.

Wow, I made the bottom category! Really?
You have completed the Gender - Science IAT.

Your Result

Your data suggest a strong association of Female with Science and Male with Liberal Arts compared to Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts.


No comments:

Post a Comment