Is It More Important to Make a Dollar or Make a Difference?


I guess this question popped up in my mind last Friday night. Hurricane Sandy had bounced off our southeastern coast of Virginia, taken a fatal northwest turn somewhere around Delaware and had decimated the Jersey shore. But as I caught up to the news, it became apparent that Staten Island, New York, home of my alma mater Wagner College, had caught the worst of the storm, and there were at least 22 casualities. Reading through Facebook posts made me realize that it was now at the forefront of the headline news.

Geraldo Rivera as an investigative reporter
for WABC-TV in New York during
the early 1970's
By chance, Geraldo Rivera flashed past my screen while I was channel surfing and I had to turn back. I knew there was a chance he’d be on top of this story. After all, Geraldo, then a rookie  newsman with WABC, earned his first famous scoop as a local investigative reporter in 1972 when he uncovered the atrocities which were occurring at the Willowbrook State School on Staten Island. I knew that the Island had a special meaning and he might be able to provide a keen insight into the blight of these hundreds of homeless people lined up near Midland Beach.

It was disappointing to watch. Obviously, Rivera is now jaded and far too comfortable in his own opulent lifestyle to truly communicate the importance of the moment. It’s not his fault. And Rivera has performed some remarkable acts of charity, including funding scholarships and paying the college tuition for selected students, some who he identified out of a group of 27 middle-schoolers, during a visit to Spanish Harlem.

But the fire wasn’t there for Geraldo the other night. Rivera talked with some of the victims, gave a few youngsters awkward rubs on the head, went to commercial and returned without the previous guests on several occasions, suggesting that they were “moved aside’ during the break.

The whole episode made me think, is he trying to make the best effort to help, or is this a good news topic to push ratings on his self-titled show? Money or mission? I wasn’t sure.

Being the social media age, it took minutes to pose the question on Facebook and receive many thought provoking responses to the question – “Is it more important to make a dollar or make a difference?”

Here are some of the responses I found to be most worthwhile. I know it’s trite to simply say “Thanks for sharing,” but I did appreciate the insight, especially from a couple of people who were in the eye of the storm and certainly thinking of more important things than answering my question.

Jehmeesah Walker The way I see it, making a difference is more important. BUT!...when you make a dollar, you have the resources to broaden the scope of that difference you're making…. The question I tend to struggle with is whether making a difference of a BROAD scope is more important than just making a difference, as small as it may be. In other words, is Beyonce's influence to be revered more than that of a pre-school teacher simply because it's farther-reaching? I don't really think so.

Michele Mascali Petersen The dollar may make your wallet or home full...but making a difference fills the heart and soul....'You can't take it with you'...and I'm sure at the Pearly Gates no one asks for your credit score...but yes, a paradox...unfortunately too many with the dollars keep it instead of spreading the wealth....

Terri Naudzunas DeMeno Jim, look at some of my photos (Terri currently lives on Staten Island and has posted some amazing pictures showing the intensity of the damage from Sandy), a difference it is what matters

Lisa Halvorsen Malatos Make the dollar to make the difference

Robert Stratton It is something that every thinking person should evaluate for themselves. Mr. Jefferson had the right idea with that "pursuit of happiness" language. I hope that there will also always be incentives for people to try to have both.

Christine Rugen Chale Susan is right Jim, I know so many people who are successful and still give back in so many ways.

Meredith Lynch Acacia It was a great question and I think there is merit in both but I do agree that it is easier to make a difference when you have the dollars to back up your intentions.

John Sargent False choice. You could do both...or neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment