Remembering Benny Dean

I'm feeling some sadness this weekend as a piece of my past is gone. 




In the 1990's, I got into the whole karaoke thing, then graduated to open mikes at GW's, a good honky tonk bar in Alexandria, which has since become the Rock-it Grill. Back in the day, I loved to sing some country on Sunday open mike night. Bands like 4x4, City Slicker, Blackjack, and others rotated through the cycle. But Benny Dean and Southern Rain let us sing with them at GW's and brought us up at other places up and down Rte. 1. My greatest singing experience ever was getting up right after New Year's in 1999 and doing a eight minute version of "Mustang Sally" with the band.. full of solos. Benny's in the center, and BJ Parrott, the sax player, is to the right. Had to pull him away from the bar to get back onstage, and he wailed for about a good minute. I'll never sell a record, but I got to sing, thanks to Benny. Rest in peace brother
.

No comments:

Post a Comment