In Case You Missed The E-Mail!!

Happy 2014!

I have been meaning to get back to my e-mail updates, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that a few of my friends and colleagues have asked what ever happened to the Wall e-mails.

Been busy!

My new job with the Department of Corrections has been going very well. We had 12 students earn their GED’s last year, which was outstanding considering that our facility only houses 245, of which only 80 are eligible for school, and only 35 were initially attending. Fifty students come through our little school house now, since we have incorporated a book program. Still, having 12 grads was a GREAT accomplishment, and I am thankful to have good aides and colleagues working at the camp. I am really getting a good feel for the DOC education system as the sole operator/teacher at our school, especially since the position also involves overseeing the libraries, aides, book program and any number of other things that our warden (superintendent) deems to be important.

With the new job, my work with McGrath Educational Services was somewhat stagnant last year; in fact, it was limited to my Daily Press articles (about 50 more last year), and a handful of students that I worked with. But 2014 will see a re-emergence of the company. I recently was hired to work on a Fairness Review committee with the GED Testing Service. It was a true learning experience to read through 1,100 pages of test questions in Science, Social Studies and Math. But the dialogue among committee members was eye opening and productive. I look forward to the opportunity to help with other GED Testing related committees.

And the TrackNation movement continues to thrive, with over 86,000 likes on Facebook alone. In my work as senior writer for TrackSide magazine, I have had the chance to meet some very heavy hitters in the track and field world, including a number of Olympic gold medalists and other movers and shakers in the sport. Going to spare you the dropping of names, but here are the magazine links:


Have a wonderful and productive year!

Best wishes,
Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment