From "The Boys of Ewald Park" - Meeting Arthur Ashe

Lately, I have been reading copy for a book project that I'll be saying more about in the coming months. However, concurrently, I have also been in the process of gathering information for a book which will be called "The Boys of Ewald Park." Essentially, it's going to be about the lives that my friends and I led in the west end of Alexandria, Virginia during the 1970's. Going back through some of our collective experiences has been a great deal of fun, and it's going to be more fun to put them into writing.

Admittedly, this isn't the best story, per se, but it did happen. I guess you could consider this an excerpt from "The Boys of Ewald Park" at least as it looks today.



Sometimes, I get to thinking about the first 49 and a half years of my life, and have to laugh when I think about how I have been fortunate and lucky enough to be involved in quite a few “Forrest Gump” like moments, particularly with athletes.


My childhood in Alexandria, VA was defined by our communal attitude toward racism and prejudice. It was a true irony that the movie “Remember the Titans” came around in 2001, to describe our hometown in the 1970’s. We didn’t need to see the movie to remind us of how we grew up. We lived through it. With my best friends and neighbors, Jimmy and Fred Hopewell, we were acutely aware of the attitudes among the people who surrounded us. We were raised on Venable Avenue, in a neighborhood that was as diverse as any in America. Looking back, it was amazing that we were so young, but so keenly aware of the fact that not all people got along. And sometimes we acted out in the name of injustice. As kids.  In February of 1974, when Jimmy and I were 8, and Fred was 11, we held a parade in honor of Hank Aaron, a pursuit that I have written about before on this blog. Why? Because he was about to break Babe Ruth’s all-time home run record, but was receiving death threats and hate mail on a daily basis.

But I have never mentioned my encounter with Arthur Ashe.

Arthur Ashe, holding up his Wimbledon trophy after winning
the tournament in 1975.
Back in the late 1970’s, Ashe was better known simply as a tennis player. His status as a humanitarian and cultural icon was still 10 years from becoming cemented in the public discussion, and his passing would sadly occur 14 years later. But he was a hell of a tennis player, and also an avid supporter of the National Junior Tennis League (NJTL), a youth organization that happened to host a quartet of teams that played and practiced at Ewald Park, which was the epicenter of our youthful existence.

Anyhow, as part of our tennis program, at the end of the summer, the different NJTL groups got together at Rock Creek Park and were invited to a match at the Washington Star Invitational. As memory recalls, I think we got to see Harold Solomon the first year. But for the next year, 1979, it was rumored that Arthur Ashe would be making an appearance to play an exhibition match.

And surely enough Ashe appeared. Also, at a point during the day, for reasons that were never made known to me, I was asked to volunteer to help with the program. As it turned out, the exhibition match needed a couple of ballboys.

The chance to spend some up close and personal time with such a legend and Wimbledon champ made for a great day. My memories of it are foggy. Ashe won the match easily, and I do remember feeling bad for the overmatched opponent because he was simply being toyed with as Ashe played to the crowd with no look drop shots and such. I’m sure he won the set 6-0. But he was very gracious after the match, staying long afterwards to sign autographs and talk. I did manage to get him to sign a ball from the match, as well as my Gilligan hat.


But it’s a bit sad that I didn’t know what a legend he would become off the court in the last years of his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment