When Customer Service Goes Wrong - Shame on Walmart


(Addendum - Since the people at Yorktown Walmart are on the verge of solving my problem, they are off the hook, and off the title. It appears that someone in claims may have tried to run off with the TV after I returned it. However, this has only magnified the ineptitude of the Walmart.com customer service department, who provided three online chat reps that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help my cause.

Lesson learned - Walmart has NO level 2 form of grievance resolution. If a customer service rep tells you that they are "escalating" your complaint, it is merely an attempt to get you off the phone. They will do nothing after you hang up. So, I'm still pissed at Walmart, but not the one in Yorktown.

I have been voicing my opinions to co-workers lately about the concern that some people just fail to be accountable and do their jobs properly these days. Recently, I purchased a TV online from Walmart. Unfortunately, it had four good sized cracks in the screen upon arrival. Since I picked it up at the Yorktown Walmart and it had a 90-day return policy, I went ahead and made the return. In short, I have been shocked by the ineptitude and rudeness of customer service; first by a young woman whom I encountered twice in Yorktown, and then by online chat operators who have promised me the moon, but on three occasions delivered nothing to help my cause (but continue to ask for my patience while they "escalate" the situation.)
Well, my patience ran out, and I'm the calm one in my house. My wife Elizabeth -- not so calm. Here is one of many letters she has written or posted to about six Walmart sites, as well as the corporate site, based in Arkansas. We're hoping for a resolution. But until then, our pens and voices will be loud and mighty.
XXX
When you feel like you’re not getting the message across, you get the feelings out on paper and ‘have at it.’ The following is a letter I just penned to Walmart Corporate.
My husband and I are completely DISSATISFIED with Walmart's supposed expedited matter pertaining to an online purchase from December, 2015 of a television we received in January, 2016. When opening the product, the television was cracked in four places. When my husband returned the merchandise at the Walmart in Yorktown, VA, the sales associate was extremely rude and accused us of switching products. Once the matter was handled, the policy stated the refund would take 5 to 7 business days for a refund. It has now been over 17 business days without an apology from either the local store, the regional manager, or the corporation itself. Still, there is not a remedy.
What we are now expecting from Walmart and the subsidiaries are the following as remedies to the situation. The first is an apology to both my husband and I from your Yorktown store for basically accusing us for theft. It is unacceptable and unprofessional, as we are both well-respected educators in the Commonwealth of Virginia. To even insinuate a legitimate return of a product as deceit to a company is humiliating and undermines the example my husband and I illustrate for public education.
Secondly, we are asking for a monetary amount in form of a gift certificate total to the exact amount of the original purchase for the extensive time and correspondence to your company regarding this matter. While Customer Service called once or twice regarding this matter, guaranteeing a 24 to 48 expedited solution, again, we remain frustrated and seeking answers. Several times during the week of February 14, I have called Customer Service regarding this matter and left a home phone number along with my husband. My husband received a call on Tuesday from an associate in South Boston, Virginia. The location is exactly three hours away from our residence. The current information my husband and I provided to Walmart is our Newport News, VA residence.
Because Walmart has not handled our initial request, which was simple--a store exchange equivalent to the purchase price of the initial purchase from December 2015, my husband and I are willing to accept a new television from Walmart store WITHOUT CHARGE as a courtesy for dissatisfaction with the entire experience. We also expect an extended warranty also without charge on the television as well.
In closing, I would like for your corporation to know the impact you have on the community. In the same way, your clientele carries the same impact as well. I mentioned earlier that my husband and I are both educators. We are also journalists in our spare time. I am also a committee member on several city, state and national committees. My credentials include the National Education Association, the National Council for Geographic Education and National Council for Social Studies Education. I also participate in roundtable discussions across the Commonwealth.
Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment