Virginia HS Track Rocks, And Soon, I'll Tell You 10 Reasons Why


As you may know, track is my mistress. So says my wife, who for about 15 years has seen me off to hundreds of all-day cross-country and track meets - first as a coach with Bishop Ireton, J.E.B. Stuart, Denbigh and Menchville high schools .. oops, there was even a year at Grafton in the mix. There have been 17 years in all as a coach, and I'm now well into my second sports career as a writer.

Last weekend was epic, by any definition. The Virginia 5A/6A state championships were up for grabs at Hampton's Boo Williams Sportsplex (or Booplex), and I was on hand to attempt the enhancement of the unbelievable photo and video coverage provided by Milestat.com and, by extension, Milesplit.com.
The Lyles brothers of T.C. Williams - Josephus and Noah.
My objective - to find 10 stories from within the meet. In other words, articles that may not necessarily include the names such as Holloway, Lyles, Kate Murphy, or any of the young athletes who have already made a name for themselves on the junior world track and field stage.

It took some doing - as I spent 25 hours at the Boo between Friday and Saturday, watched 60 or so events, interviewed about 35 people, and filled up half a notebook with my unreadable scribblings.

The end result is now making its way through milestat.com. Right now, they have posted four of the articles, and I imagine that they will run through the cycle by the end of the week.

With this said, I will begin posting the articles - one per day, starting next Monday, March 7th. It will make for a good segue into the outdoor track season, but hopefully will give each athlete(s) an opportunity to shine for a day, as they are doing on Milestat right now. Of course, I encourage anyone to visit Milestat.com. If you have never seen the cyberspace hub for all things related to track in the state of Virginia, it is worth a look. Trust me, there may have been at least half a dozen future Olympians out there at the Booplex last weekend. Here's your chance to meet them now!

No comments:

Post a Comment